As you can see from the Weekly Updates, we have a very fully schedule of events here at school. However, with the arrival of spring and the beautiful weather, some of our high school students tend to push the boundaries and try to leave campus early in the afternoons before the end of the school day. We would appreciate if you as parents could help us enforce our closed campus policy by not requesting early departures, for a number of very good reasons:
- What the IBDP or IGCSE students may view as free time is actually time that they should be using to finish up coursework, or to meet with their teachers to go over parts of the syllabus for which they may need further help with revision.
- We take our role of providing a safe and secure learning environment for your children seriously. It is very difficult for us to provide this and keep track of where our students are if they start to leave campus during the school day.
Many years ago, we did have an open campus policy for our IBDP students. I am sure that the world has changed since then and today’s students are much more responsible and reliable, but at that time the open campus policy resulted in:
- Students regularly showing up late for classes after lunch and break times,
- Many students skipping afternoon classes,
- Students going out to consume illicit substances and then showing up “high” to classes,
- Significantly lower academic results than we have today.
Fortunately, the open campus policy lasted for only one year.
The next two months will fly by, and before you know it the IBDP and IGCSE exams will be history. As educators we do our utmost to ensure that your children have results that will stand them in good stead as they move on to the next stages of their academic careers. Thank you in advance for supporting us in this endeavor.
Wishing you an enjoyable and relaxing weekend!
Mr. Johnson, ISN Director